Exploring The Netherlands | Part 1 - Amsterdam

1:31:00 PM


Last week i wasn't active on the blog because i was travelling (finally!).
I was really active on instagram, though - click here to follow my daily adventures x
I was in Netherlands (and made a little trip to Belgium, but that's a topic for my next post) and out of 7 days there, 3 were dedicated to exploring Amsterdam.

Amsterdam, or "Venice of North", may not be everyone's cup of tea. It not a pretty city the way Paris is, for example. Architecture is gorgeous, as well as the canals. But the strongest impression i got for Amsterdam was the sense of freedom and wildness - here, sexuality (in every way) is celebrated, marijuana is legal and people are non-judgemental.



If you came from more traditional environment, it may be a little shocking to see LGBT flags everywhere (and by everywhere, i mean everywhere. I saw one on the church.) and feeling the smell marijuana every few minutes.
What i found kinda funny - infamous Red light district is located next to one of the oldest churches in Amsterdam.


I must admit that i didn't fell in love with Amsterdam the way i fell in love with Stockholm, for example. But i'm by no means disappointed. Walking around the city (and taking photos of everything because everything is beautiful) is a great experience itself, but you can also ride a bike. In Netherlands, everyone and their mothers ride bikes, which is great for your health and health of our planet.
If you came by car, my recommendation is to park away from center, on P+R parking, and then catch a public transportation to the center - tickets for PT will be much cheaper and parking will cost you only 1 euro!


This lil baby is swimming in the fountain on Museumplein (square where the biggest and best museums in Amsterdam are located) and he's doing such a good job!!



I absolutely love its streets, they are so charming and they have their own unique energy.



Inside of Rijksmuseum (= National museum). If you're like me, trip isn't complete without visiting any museums and galleries. Here you can find masterpieces by Rembrandt, Van Gogh, Jan Davidsz de Heem, Hans Bollongier, Jan Toorop, even Claude Monet (i was so happy when i found his painting as he's my favorite artist). It's really big and you'll definitely need 3-4 hours to see everything but it's amazing.

Van Gogh museum was my favorite. I'm a big fan of his work and this gallery has some of his most famous masterpieces, like Sunflowers, Almond tree in bloom and The bedroom. There are 3 floors so you can see his work chronologically, plus paintings of the artists that inspired him and that he inspired (another Monet's painting, yass), and there's also a separate exhibition On the Verge Of Insanity, showing the paintings from the end of his life. 






Have you even been to Amsterdam? What's your favorite thing about it?
See you on Friday with another post from my trip x
Follow me on: FacebookInstagramPinterest

You Might Also Like

39 comments

  1. We once had an eleven hour stop over in Amsterdam which was great. We got to explore some of it but not as much as we would have liked. Love the dog swimming! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amsterdam looks beautiful! I've heard a lot about its canals and of course the red light districts. It's a place of freedom and liberation, which I like. It also looks laid-back from the photos. Amazing architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amsterdam is one of the many places i would love to visit and stay for a month or two. Haha. I wouls love to explore the cities and taste the food and even hear all the songs around the mall, churches and parks. The Van Gogh museum will surely be a favorite as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amsterdam is definitely on my lists of cities to visit! Great photos!


    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been to Europe but I have heard more than a little about Amsterdam. The little I know though is enough to spark a curiosity in me. I know the red light district in Amsterdam is famous, and yes, being near a church is ironic. I am intrigued enough to want to see it, not that I am availing of their "offerings" but just to see what the fuss is all about.

    Anyway, I think what I will enjoy the most is to walk the streets and I truly admire the architecture. I think it is beautiful.

    #AmazingLifeDaily.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wanted to visit Amsterdam. The places there look beautiful and your photos are splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wanted to visit Amsterdam. The places there look beautiful and your photos are splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amsterdam seems to offer such a unique cultural experience. I didn't realize it was such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been on a trip outside of the Philippines. But I have heard of how free and liberated the people of Amsterdam are. One former officemate even shared to me one of their most unforgettable experience in Amsterdam (during their business) trip was when a man suddenly pulls down his pants in front of them to pee ( I just cannot remember if it's in one of the canals or just the street haha). They got shocked of course. Those kind of actions seem like a normal thing to the people of Amsterdam. But nonetheless, I would still love to visit the place whenever I got the chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah things like that sometimes happen in my country too. It's really rude but no one really cares

      Delete
  10. Amsterdam is ♥! The photos you have are the ones that I only see in movies. lol. I bet you enjoyed your trip, I'd love to be able to visit this wonderful place too, but, I don't think that's possible for us now. Maybe in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll have the chance, it's really an unique experience :)

      Delete
  11. And that is part of the reason why I would like to go to Amsterdam, I love that it is so openminded and liberated. What a beautiful soul it has.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love visit Amsterdam. Bikes, non-judgmental people, and everything else :) Your photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh Amsterdam is so beautiful! I can just see riding a bike around the city and stopping at a cafe for a latte.

    La Belle Sirene 

    ReplyDelete
  14. Truly beautiful sceneries. I wish we can go to Europe and explore.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't been to Europe ever. I love the photos :) Amsterdam looks great and my boyfriend wants us to visit there someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Am African But Amsterdam, Netherlands is one place I will like to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that people are embracing equality there! There's so much to see and do in Amsterdam and it's not for the faint of heart or the conservative soul. But it's definitely worth the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amsterdam is definitely a special city to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  19. heard lots of Amsterdam but your photographs of it is so beautiful, would to go visit it despite the notoriety even if it's just to see new things and learn how people are living that is so different from what I'm used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's always great to experience a different culture

      Delete
  20. It's actually a goal of mine to visit Amsterdam. I only ever "went" there for a six hour stopover, haha! I hope next time I have the opportunity, I can really stay in the city and explore every bit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That doggie is so cute! I mean, is it really popular there to see dogs swim? Netherlands is just so amazing. Like it was taken out straight from a book! Looking forward for your next posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol i don't think so (i don't know if that's even allowed), i only saw this one and i thought it was adorable so i snapped a photo :) Thank you!

      Delete
  22. I would like to go to Amsterdam. Definitely, on my bucket list... Great architecture!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks like a great place to visit, I love that everyone rides bikes too, much better for the environment!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have a Pinterest board dedicated to Amsterdam. I've never been but it's on my bucket list and after seeing your photos, I'm excited about going even more. I doubt if I'll take my bike but I'll try to rent one there.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amsterdam is so beautiful. Would love to visit him. It really celebrates people and is non judgemental.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's a long time since i visited Amsterdam. It would be great to go there and just walk and enjoy the atmosphere. I love those houses there.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Omg Amsterdam is my favorite city for partying lol, me and my friends from university went there for spring break, we had great time, I’ll definitely visit you’re making miss it again thank you for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I haven't experience partying much but i definitely will the next time i go there :)

      Delete
  28. Such amazing photos... I would love to visit the Netherlands one day! So beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  29. There not might be a lot of stuff to see in Amsterdam. But every place has it's own beauty and uniqueness. Just like people. :)

    Basing from your photos, the places you've been are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Instagram