Exploring The Netherlands | Part 2

10:45:00 PM


Other than Amsterdam, i visited few other places - Harderwijk, Utrecht, Gouda, Delft and Brugge (in Belgium). Those are mostly small, cozy places and visiting them was completely different experience than visiting Amsterdam.
Holland reminded me of Italy in sense than every, even the smallest city, looks completely adorable, like it's from a movie (something you unfortunately can't say for my country).
And now, here's a sentence or two about them:

HARDERWIJK

It was the first city we visited in The Netherlands. We went for a walk right after we arrived, it was about 7 or 8PM but Sun was shining like it's 5 or 6 o' clock. People were sitting on the benches in front of their little houses trying to catch every ray of sun. You could sea seagulls flying around and feel the smell of the sea. It's really pretty and it seems like one of those perfect little towns from movies, or a place 21st century Hansel and Gretel would live in. 
A photo posted by Dunja Jovanović (@04.40am) on

Another day we went to the beach. It's beautiful but as it was drizzling when we went there (#poorlifechoices) it was really windy and we were completely wet. Later we warmed up by drinking really good hot chocolate in a caffe in the center so it's all good haha
A photo posted by Dunja Jovanović (@04.40am) on

There is a Dolphinarium (where you can see dolphins, sea lions and other sea creatures, and even pet them and take a picture with them), the beach i just mentioned and this cool fountain.


Those are book covers ( think).

UTRECHT

Fun fact: before Dutch Golden Age, Utrecht was the most important city in The Netherlands, as it was the religious center for a long time.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to stay there for long. We just wandered around the center, saw few churches, took few photos, nearly got hit by other people on bikes, saw this cool flamingo floatie, well, floating around and went back home. The main canal is really pretty and it reminds me of Amsterdam. I wish i had more time to explore this charming city.


A photo posted by Dunja Jovanović (@04.40am) on

                                                                        GOUDA

Gouda has to be one of my favorite cities from this trip. It's one of those places that has a soul.. and a lot of tasty food. Gouda is famous for - you guessed it - gouda cheese, which can be tried and purchased everywhere around the Markt square. There are some pretty cool flavors - with lavender (blue one), basil (green one), really spicy one etc.
A photo posted by Dunja Jovanović (@04.40am) on

So now i can say i ate gouda in Gouda.... how cheesy. (Yes, that was a pun)
We were mostly on the Markt square, where Old City Hall is situated (one of the oldest gothic buildings in the Netherlands), along with the market (very surprising, considering the name of the square) where you can buy fresh fruit, vegetables, cheese (of course) and a lot of other things.

Another part i really liked is the canal (by this point i think you realized that i like canals) with cute vintage shops and buildings around it. Weather in The Netherlands is really moody and it's usually cloudy or raining but that day it was really sunny and beautiful and it probably made me like this city even more.
A photo posted by Dunja Jovanović (@04.40am) on

                                                                        DELFT

The same day we visited Gouda we visited Delft. It's a city famous for Delft blue pottery and painter Johannes Vermeer.
My favorite part of the visit was sitting in the main square looking at the City Hall with Nieuwe Kerk (New Church) behind my back, watching kids trying famous clogs, listening to classical music playing and people talking, feeling the sun and just being in the moment.
Others didn't appreciate my desire to enjoy in the moment (rude) so we began to explore the city. We saw leaning Oude Kerk (Old Church), green canal, a lot of bikes, adorable little bazaar (i LOVE bazaars, i could spend hours there even though i generally hate shopping) and some more bikes.

                                                                        BRUGGE

Last but definitely not least. As a self-proclaimed hedonist and a huge chocolate lover, Brugge has a special place in my heart. Even though it's 3 hours away and in another country (Belgium).
Facts time: It's a capital of West Flanders and its historic center is a World Heritage Site of UNESCO.
When you're walking around Amsterdam you smell weed, in Brugge you smell chocolate. There are chocolate and waffle shops everywhere, so you may want to leave your diet at home for full Brugge experience. I left Brugge probably 15kg heavier, but i have no regrets. Belgian handmade chocolate is closest to heaven i've ever experienced.

(("Sweet dreams are made of this" softly playing in the background))



  Can we talk about the architecture and how beautiful it is? This is the Provinciaal Hof (Province Court), by the way - former meeting place for the provincial government of West Flanders.


Oh hello, this is me enjoying the beauty but also trying to stay alive after too much sugar i just ate.

This is the point when my little tour ends. Have you visited these cities, and which one you find the most interesting? Hope you learned something and/or that i inspired you to visit some of those places x
Have you explored Amsterdam with me? If not, click here
!
Follow my adventures on instagram!
Also find me on: FacebookPinterest

You Might Also Like

50 comments

  1. Oh what an awesome adventure! It's great that you were able to experience so much. I'd be excited to Gouda in Gouda too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful! I've never actually heard of some of the place you just explored. I'd love to check those places out myself and go on an adventure. Love your pictures! Makes me want to go there more. lol Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you'll have the chance to visit, it's a great experience :)

      Delete
  3. Your pictures are awesome, looks like an amazing trip! I want to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the pictures looks like you had lots of fun traveling

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an amazing adventure. I love the netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of them are worth going to! I've never explored each one in detail but the Netherlands is on my list! I would love to go to each one and just experience what they have to offer especially Gouda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gouda is great :) and other places are too

      Delete
  7. I don not know much places in Netherlands but they all look so beautiful!! Great photos too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don not know much places in Netherlands but they all look so beautiful!! Great photos too

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful trip, some of those little towns look absolutely stunning. How could you go wrong with chocolate and cheese (and yes, the the cheesy comment was cheesy, but funny, lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Netherlands is such an awesome place, isn't it? I have Filipino friends who live there and I must say the place is wonderful! I don't know if we'll ever be able to go to the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are cows and sheep grazing beside the road, happy and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to visit Brugge! I've never thought about it but Gouda looks really interesting too. Hope you had a wonderful time.

    Rosie | www.rosieromance.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad you had a grand time while in Netherlands. As you like the canals, I like the houses and their architectural design. It's just so pleasing to look at and from where I am, it is vastly different. Other than the canals and the houses, and from what I could see from the photos, everywhere you it seems so clean.

    http://www.amazinglifedaily.com #AmazingLifeDaily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Architecture is gorgeous. Everywhere is pretty clean except on our last day in Amsterdam, i guess there was a huge party or something as it was Saturday night but garbage was everywhere

      Delete
  14. I've heard a lot about the Netherlands. What I fancy the most is their architecture. Also the feeling of liberalism in the area. The world has much to learn about the country.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your pictures! Thanks for sharing your expirience.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the first time that I get to see Netherlands and the place looks clean and great. If ever I can go there, I will spend my days walking and exploring. I love learning new things and this place has a lot to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to go to the Netherlands its a beautiful place and that goada cheese looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh, the Netherlands looks amazing! I love places with culture. My dream is to go to Italy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Italy is beautiful too! Favorite place i've visited so far :)

      Delete
  19. Oh, those cheese and chocolate already alone make me want to travel to the Netherlands as soon as possible! Beautiful shop windows too :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to visit here! I have a friend named Daan who says it is gorgeous all year.

    Love,

    Ivelisse | CarnationDreams.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those cities are so lovely. I visited Amsterdam twice and I love the city. It's beautiful and amazing. The second time I really avoided every touristic places and went to all typical places. It was only for a few days though. But I definitely want to visit it again, and this time I shall do the same and take extra days to visit around the other cities. I love small italian cities so I trust you on that haha

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow. It's travel goals! It's always a dream to be here and to travel and reading your posts about Netherlands just makes me feel that I'm there experiencing it too. I hope you could explore more countries and share it to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Would love to visit that place one day. Experience its weather, taste its food and talk to its people. I would love to try buying in their market and strolling in their park. Would love to experience Netherlands. Perhaps soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was happy to see cheese in the photos because I love cheese! Haha. The photos are gorgeous, makes me wanna jump in and travel there!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've heard a lot of positive things about the Netherlands. This is an amazing country with beautiful architecture. It looks like a great adventure!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awww, now I am homesick :( Even that I am from Germany , but I have spent so much time in Holland and Belgium as I am from very close to the dutch/belgium/german border. Living far away for 16 yrs now and looking at your lovely post , makes me wanna book a flight home. I like the scenery in the netherlands very much , and the FOOD !!! Thanks for a nice short trip home !

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful photographs, and what a beautiful place!

    Samantha xo | Blended To Perfection

    ReplyDelete
  28. You took nice photos. Anyway, I want to visit Netherlands too someday. Utrecht particularly caught my attention. And I'm wondering about the taste of Gouda cheese. I also would like to go to Brugge. I love chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The Netherlands, I call them The Deutsch. Great country, great people wih great history, am not surprised at his richness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you meant Dutch, Deutsch(land) is Germany :)

      Delete
  30. netherlands is on my list for my next travel to europe!.....thanks for sharing such lovely pics....bookmarked it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It looks like you had a great trip in the Netherlands. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful melancholic pictures,I was just talking with my friend about a trip in Amsterdam and Van Gogh is definitely a place to visit.

    http://impavidlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great to read :). I live in the Netherlands. I always love the Dolphinarium :). It's great to see all these dolphins. And I've to Brugge in belgium as well. Such a lovely city!

    ReplyDelete
  34. The Netherlands is a beautiful country! The head office of the multinational company I used to work with was in the Netherlands. I thought I would stay there long enough to visit our head office. But I didn't. Anyway, I hope to still visit this country in my lifetime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. The Netherlands is absolutely one of my favorite countries! Love the Dutch innovation, the canals, architecture, flower fields, everything! And of course, the people! They are one of the nicest and warmest.. Just imagine being greeted and talked with at the airport by a personnel. Nice photos, by the way! Keep travelling!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Holandija se cini fantasticno, volela bih da je posetim, jednog dana! Ona kuca potpuno lici na mesto za Ivicu i Maricu, jos da ima zaista slatkisa unutra! Kada sam videla da si posetila delfinarijum, pretpostavimo da se tako kaze na srpskom, bila sam jako ljubomorna! Obozavam morske zivotinjice.

    ReplyDelete
  37. loving your photos... it brings back so much memories of my stay there... I was in Netherlands for two months and I stayed in Delft , and I especially loved visits to Den Haag, Schevenigen, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Gronigen and Leiden...

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the photos! Europe has always been in my bucketlist because of the stunning architecture! Someday! :D

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Instagram