Good or bad person?

3:01:00 PM

EN: When i can’t sleep, i stare at the ceiling and think. And think and think and think. And when i think, i start questioning everything. Last few nights i had a specific topic in my mind.
Am i a good person? What makes good person a good person?
SRB: Kada ne mogu da spavam, ležim u mraku, pokrijem se do brade, gledam u plafon i razmišljam. Razmišljam, razmišljam, razmišljam. A kad razmišljam, onda krenem da preispitujem sve. Jedna od tema koju sam pretumbavala po mislima prethodnih noći je bila: Da li sam ja dobra osoba? I šta je to što čini dobru osobu dobrom osobom?


I know what doesn’t necessarily make you a good person:
• going to church / being religious (don’t get me wrong, being religious is great and it can help you become a good person but it doesn’t automatically makes you good)
• posting ‘1 like = 1 prayer’ pictures / hashtags #prayfor____ or anything similar on social media
• your intelligence, talent and education (it gives you other qualities though)
• making others feel bad about themselves because you don’t agree with something they are or do (this, in fact, makes you an asshole) (unless they’re murderers, rapists etc.)
• your habits - smoking, drinking, doing drugs, not eating meat etc. (friendly reminder that Hitler didn’t smoke, drank, did drugs and was a vegetarian, but yet, you would hardly classify him as good person)
caring only about yourself (yet, caring about yourself is a good thing)
• your race, gender, height / weight, sexuality and amount of money on your bank account does not make you better / worse than anyone else
• how many friends / acquaintances you have

Za početak, znam šta nas ne čini dobrom osobom:
• da smo religiozni / redovno odlazimo u crkvu (nemojte me pogrešno shvatiti, biti religiozan je lepo i može nam pomoći da postanemo bolje osobe, ali nas ne čini automatski dobrima)
• skupljanje lajkova na tuđim nesrećama (1 like = 1 prayer / #prayfor____ i slično)
• naša pamet, talenti i obrazovanje (to su neki drugi kvaliteti)
• da činimo da se drugi osećaju loše zbog onoga što jesu ili što rade jer se to kosi sa nekim našim uverenjima (osim ako nisu ubice, silovatelji i slično)
• naše navike - pušenje, alkohol, pa čak i droga, da li jedemo meso itd. (mali podsetnik da je Hitler bio vegeterijanac, nije pušio, pio ni drogirao se, ali ga niko ne bi nazvao dobrom osobom)
• brinuti se samo o sebi (brinuti se o sebi je, međutim, dobra stvar)
• naša rasa, pol, seksualnost, visina / težina i dubina džepa nas ne čine boljim ili lošijim od drugih
• koliko prijatelja i poznanika imamo


What makes you good, then?
I guess helping others, making yourself and others happy, being non-judgemental, trying to make things better instead or worse.

Šta nas čini dobrom osobom, onda?
Valjda pomaganje drugima, činiti druge i nas same srećnim, ne osuđivati, trud da poboljšamo stvari a ne da ih pogoršamo.


What do you think about this? Do you agree or disagree? What is, according to you, a good person? And would you consider yourself a good person? Let me know in the comments! I’m looking forward to discussion - we don’t have to have same opinions, we just have to respect others x

Šta vi mislite o ovome? Šta je, po vama, dobra osoba? Da li smatrate sebe dobrom osobom? Ostavite mi komentar :) Radujem se diskusiji, ne moramo da se slažemo, samo da poštujemo tuđa mišljenja x

Follow my adventures on instagram!
Also find me on: FacebookPinterestTumblr

You Might Also Like

36 comments

  1. To answer what makes a good person, one has to think about what defines a good person. And with that definition, has one lived that kind of life where intentions are not to be good, but simply live life the way good is defined? I agree, what one does does not make a person necessarily good (sometimes).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe what makes a good person is personal. Everybody has a different view and what is good to them. For me. it's honesty. There is no purely good or bad, we are all both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that no one is 100% good or bad, but for most persons you can say if they're mostly good or bad. Of course, bad persons have good in them and vice versa.

      Delete
  3. Every individual has a different definition of a good person. It varies from person to person. I think being honest is the most important key to achieving that goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I agree on the list of things that don't make you good. Good depends on everyone's own definition. For it is, thinking about other people. Try to help where you can. Thnking about the reason you're doing things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to church doesn't make someone a good person. Being friendly doesn't make you a good person. But for me as long as someone is respectful, doesn't steal, not arrogant or just class A douche. Then for me you're a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me, being a good person is being good deep inside. Outer appearance, our habits or daily life are just the superficial image of ourselves. What makes us good is what's really in our hearts.. Do good, be good and feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think there's truly good people, or truly evil people; only people who made wrong choices through their lives. I think striving for the best we can be, and be as fair as we can, it's what makes us good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you partly; but there are some people who consciously made a choice to do harm to others and ruin their lives and even enjoyed doing it. They have something good in them, that's for sure, but for me, they're evil.

      Delete
  8. Great post, I agree with a lot of what you wrote! But I also agree with what someone above commented, I don't think people are completely good or evil. I don't like to look at it as a black and white matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! True, i completely agree with that statement, but you can usually classify people as mostly good or mostly bad.

      Delete
  9. A very controversial and philosophical topic and question. I love these kind of questions. Well, first of all, being Good is not something that should be subjective to each person's definition. For example, this is not an attack or anything, but , your definition of good is someone who help others, making you or others happy, being non judgemental or makes everything better instead of worse.

    You see, the problem there is, it also becomes subjective when it is us who define what is a good help and a bad help, what is a good happy or bad happy, what is a good non judgemental and bad non judgemental, and what is "better" and what is "worse" . If you're going to think about it realistically, none of us can claim that we have done all things perfectly the "criterias" you mentioned. We have been judgemental, we have made others unhappy or even us, we have made others worse or feel bad. In short, we can agree that there is no one who we can really call a good person. (No one is good except God - Luke 18:19)

    That is why, we can only judge actions (prayerful, vices, helping, etc.) but not men, who is good or not. It is only up to God to decide which is which because He is the ultimate Judge.

    http://thetopknotters.com



    http://thetopknotters.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this comment! You're right, it's mostly subjective.

      Delete
  10. Bad person makes it a real good person. I believe one can hardly make it to be good without seeing what bad is. On this note, I would differentiate bad to evil. These are two different levels and extent of act.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What makes a person good? Perhaps he accepting with courage the things he cant change and the courage to accept others fate and never be envious. He who does not speak ill of his brothers and friends. He who only speak of kindness. He who helps without expectingn any return. And helps because he want to share his blessings and talent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A good or a bad person? That is a question only you can answer for yourself. The ironic thing in life is that, whatever you do, people will always have a word against you. As the saying goes, we cannot please everyone. As for me, I dig deep in my heart, ask myself (without thinking what this world thinks about me), am I living my life in a way that I live by purpose? I mean, it's a matter of how you deal with life and in the end go back to the One who gave you your purpose :)

    www.gracefulmusings.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with you. But others should also understand that everyone makes mistakes but it does not necessarily make them a bad person or doing something that is pleasing to the eyes doesn't make them good either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. Una hirundo non facit ver :)

      Delete
  14. I think deep down you know if you are a good or bad person, you either treat others nicely and with respect or you deliberately do things that make others suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If all decisions are made with good intent in your heart, nothing else matters. That's my opinion. Great post! Very deep! Got me thinking..... Ree Love30

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think there is a checklist of things that makes someone a good or bad person. I believe there's a bit of both in everyone, and sometimes one will outweigh the other. But I do think everyone should always treat another with respect, even if that person is very different from you or has other beliefs, etc..

    Kelly Knows It | A life and style blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with you that going to chrch or being religious does not automatically make a person good. But only God knows what's in every person's heart. :) I also agree with you that doing good works or helping others can be signs that a person is good. But, there are some who do good works or help for the wrong reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! Sometimes people have secret motives for helping others

      Delete
  18. I would say honesty and trustworthy. Don't say you are going to do something and then you don't, in my books that would make me think less of you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I now check myself if Im a good person or not. He He He. I think being a good person is how you are not stepping on to other people's feelings. How you help others without expecting anything in return. And how you try to become a good person even after every mistakes that you make.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Dear,

    The most effective way to learn / determine if you are a good or bad person is from the feedback from others, especially from those who have recognize your works, and not related to you. :)


    For Urban Women

    ReplyDelete
  21. To me, I would say attitude. Attitude could reflect a person's character and personality.

    ReplyDelete
  22. you know what I do agree with you with the church thing... my blog is merely about churches but that doesn't really make me a good person.. the reason why i go to church is because I know I have committed sins and thus I ask for God's forgiveness for what I did.. the problem is that some people are goin to church and tryin to be religious not for their own spiritual enlightenment but to establish some kind of reputation to make them look good in front of the others...

    I also don't participate with those 1 Like - 1 prayer thingy on Facebook.. that doesn't make any sense at all for me... likes may bring some kind of awareness but without any action involve, it will not help at all.

    so what makes us a good person? I agree with your answer.. for me what makes you a good person is when you do things that will not just make others feel good but when you also feel the same way for yourself

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't think there is a universal definition of a good person, it depends from person to person. Just because you do good work doesn't mean you are a good person.
    Tina von S | http://lifestylerookie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think it's tetribly difficult to figure out a clear distinction between a good and a bad person. I believe it's not mere actions but also intentions that are ttobe taken into account: if one's good deeds are just meant to make him or her feel better, he or she isn't a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  25. mozda jevrejskom izrekom: „Ako ne postanemo bolji, postaćemo gori“.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Never miss a post!