Sadness survival kit

2:04:00 PM

Rainy day in Herceg Novi | 2014.
No one can be happy all the time, it’s just not realistic. Everyone is a little blue sometimes. Let yourself feel. That sadness can sometimes help us to collect our thoughts, catch a moment of tranquility, and spend time on ourselves. But still, it’s not a pleasant feeling when “you look like you had breakfast at the heartbreak hotel”. Here’s how i bear with it:

1. Read - For some reason, i really really enjoy reading Bukowski when i’m sad, specially his poetry. There is just something about rhythm of his words that really calms me. Reading to escape reality is great, read whatever you grab first and get lost somewhere. Even if that’s super cliche love story.

2. Watch videos/pictures of cute animals - I think this doesn’t need further explanation. How can someone be sad when looking at puppies?

3. Cry - It’s scientifically proven that we feel better after a good crying. It’s okay to cry. (That’s something i still have to learn, though)

4. Let it out - Talk about it, write about it, sing about it, scream about it, dance about it, draw about it, paint about it.. write a sadness survival kit about it?

5. Treat.Yo.Self. - Have a bubble bath with extra bubbles, eat something nice and tasty (forget about calories), drink a cup of tea or coffee/ glass of wine (or whiskey, or milk, or whatever you may prefer, no judging), do your nails. Or just let yourself do nothing, sometimes that’s the way of caring for yourself, too.

6. Be busy - (This is actually total opposite of my previous sentence, oops) The best way not to think about the thing that made you sad is to be productive and keep your thoughts occupied. I know studying or working on a project sounds like a horrible idea, but it’s also super useful. Same goes with working out!

7. Smile - this sounds super corny I KNOW but it’s scientifically proven that it will make you feel better.

8. Try to see the positive side - (this applies to the kind of sadness when something bad happened, not that sad-for-no-reason kind of days). The motto is: There is always something good in the bad. Ask yourself these questions : Have i learned something from this bad situation? Can i make something good out of this? What can i do to improve this? Focus on making things better rather than let your emotions eat you.

9. Sleep - (my favorite thing, to be honest) i think this also doesn’t need further explanation - tuck yourself into your comfy little bed and ease your mind,

What do you when you're sad? Let me know in the comments!

You Might Also Like

30 comments

  1. Great post i also read

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, that crying always males me feel a million times better! And get this, I hate crying haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smile should be my magic part for solution on this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some very good points for boosting our mood. Going out of the house snd breathing fresh air always works for me!

    Fatima | www.blogsbyfa.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest, when I'm sad I try to think about something that makes me really, really happy and I also love to listen to music, it makes me so much calm and happier!

    Loved this post, it gave me some good inspiration :)

    With love,
    http://bonjourjanie.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, everyone does get an occasional case of the blues. When I am blue, I can greatly improve my mood with happy music! You must be sure to avoid music that may deepen your sadness. Also, I like to play with my cats! They always make me smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. your article so inspirational for me, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these are spot on! Depending on the severity of my situation, taking a nap would be the ultimate "I NEED A DANG BREAK!!!" moment lol. Reading or watching some TV on Netflix that I have already seen before are my first level of defense. Second may be pouring a cocktail! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So inspiring have to remember these tips ! This is so true it is impossible to be happy all the time :) but we can do your best to try to be happy and to make people happy as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic tips, I usually try most of these things one after the other, sleep is usually the most helpful

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice tips on things to do when feeling sad. Personally, when I do feel sad, I start talking to positive people or doing things that I have associated with happiness. Just like that, I feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to watch a good show that preferably will make me cry while in bed! I think I covered a couple of them! But the best way I think to get over being sad is to help someone else out in need. Nothing lifts your spirits faster than lifting someone else! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So insightful and truthful. This is such a great resource for mental health. Thank you for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's a Youtube channel called 10 Cats that I like to watch when I'm sad. There's no humans in it, just cats being silly. My cat likes to watch it with me!

    Lynn from http://www.lifethequest.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very good points! Music and sleep works for me! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely post. I try to do the majority of these, whenever I feel depressed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post! I have had some rough days lately and cried a lot. I also found that going to the gym also helps as you can put all your sadness into a workout and gain 2 things at one: be a bit more happy and burning a few calories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good tips! I'll admit, when I'm sad, I shop for! Or watch tv. But being busy definitely helps also.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good tips! I'll admit, when I'm sad, I shop for! Or watch tv. But being busy definitely helps also.

    ReplyDelete
  20. All of them are therapeutic. I do some of them at times, depending on the degree of sadness that I feel. There are times when I really feel down or just plain empty. But these happen very seldom as I always opt to be joyful and happy most of the time. :-) I travel or go to places as it is a proven cure to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8! I can totally relate. We definitely need to cope with sadness and depending on our individuality, we have all have different ways to do so :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I am sad I love to eat watching TV!! My perfect scape!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can relate to this post so much and I have similar posts on my own blog. Some great ideas there which I will be trying myself. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  24. "No one can be happy all the time, it’s just not realistic." I agree with you on this. When we recognize and accept this, we will be able to manage our emotions better. I like all the tips you shared and do them as well when I feel sad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I turn the Lord when I am sad by reading my bible or just cry.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Once I ate almost full package "rum kasato", but unfortunately, it didn't work.
    Next time, I'll try something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means you ate just 3-4 of them. I see why it didn't help, next time eat the whole package.

      Delete
  27. It's the first time I encountered such list. Which I think is what we do on private. When I got in my first serious relationship I was so anxious I listed all the things I will do if we broke up. One of which is to dye my hair blue. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha :) If you broke up, did you dye it? Once i dip dyed my hair purple and i loved it (now i want to dye it whole) - it's good to change you hair color from time to time

      Delete
  28. Think happy thoughts, meetings, people with energy
    bring your pet for a walk
    look at the nature around you, all these colors
    clean up the weeds around the plants tulips
    help unknown, keep the love for nice people
    do what you love..

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Never miss a post!